Friday, September 25, 2009

Who knew disposing of a sharps container would be so difficult.........

So after dropping Benji off at preschool I had one thing I wanted to do and that was find somewhere to dispose of my full sharps container and get a new one. I called CVS around the corner first and the pharmacist there told me that the mail order pharmacy should have sent me a label to send the full container back to them and get a new one. Checked box and no label. Next call to a good friend who had done IVF about 7yrs. ago. She said she had taken hers to Westbury Pharmacy and gave them to the pharmacist and bought a new container there. So I called Westbury and after getting the runaround on the phone there I was connected to Daryl, the pharmacist. Daryl says to just wrap the container up and dispose of it in my regular trash. Isn't disposing of medical waste in regular trash illegal I say? He avoids the questions and says, "That's what I do with my needles at home." Thanks Daryl.
So last I call the fertility clinic here that I have been doing all my blood work and some of my pretesting etc. They tell me to bring it in to them and they will dispose of the needles. What they didn't tell me was not to close the top of the container because you can't get it open again. So I ended up leaving the whole container with them and going to Westbury to buy a new one. Where incidently they gave me the wrong container. They gave me the one for diabetics that you just drop the needle into so that won't work for me because I need to dispose of a whole needle and syringe. Guess I'll be going back to Westbury to exchange my "new" sharps container.

1 comment:

  1. You can take the full container with you to the IVF clinic or your OB and they will get rid of it :) My IVF clinic gave me a new one! Altho I got to stop my PIO shot yesterday :) I'm having a really bad reaction to them, so they've switched me to Endometrin suppositories - I'll do gross over painful any day :)

    ReplyDelete